Monday 15 December 2008

a WAG'S style

Ok so, this is going to be a slight digression from fashion, but I have a confession to make: I am reading a WAG book... The WAG's Diary by Alison Kervin.

Hear me out: I got the book free with Glamour a while ago and although it is far from being my usual literary choice, I though why not? It looks ligh-hearted and funny, and I was in dire need of distraction.

I have to admit that even though it is quite heavy writing (not in a Dostoevsky kind of way, but thick and sticky, like too many coats of lipstick), it has some really funny lines. I have to admit it is an amazing parody of WAGS.

It is all about (unnaturally) orange-coloured skin, see-through skirts, cropped tops, blond extentions that threaten to fall out at every moment of the day and make-up: coats of make-up.

To be honest I don't know much about the subject so I am set to research a little more about the subculture before I post what I find.

Meanwhile there are two short extract from the book - Tracie Martin, the mainWAG-character of the story is an online WAG handbook:

SUNTANS
Remember the Wag mantra: Wags can be orange, they can be caramel, but they CANNOT be white. If you feel your skin colour is heading towards white, or even cream or vanilla, it is important to get yourself spray-tanned as a matter of urgency.


DRINKING FOR WAGS
The question is, can you drink if you're a Wag? The answer is, most definately, YES: 99.4 per cent of your nutrition should come from champagne or Bacardi Breezers. (...) The key skill to learn is to be able to continue to walk in eight-inch heels while on the wrong side of a crate of vodka. No collapsing into the gutter or trying to get off with the doorman. You're a Wag now ... Hold your head up - throw your hair extentions back and walk towards the car without being sick all over the paparazzi.

No comments: