Tuesday 13 January 2009

Barbie is going to turn 50 in style

Barbie is turning 50 this year (on the 9th of March) and she is not going to be short of a wardrobe for the occasion:

50 designers are creating life-sized outfits inspired by the 11 1/2 inch doll, which will be shown in a full-scale fashion show held by Mattel during New York Fashion week.

Hopefully the designers don't make the clothes to fit the real measurement of Barbie if she ever were to be rendered in the flesh, which would be 36-18-38.

I always wanted a collectors barbie when I was a child and I remember spending hours, perplexed over my mother's sewing machine, desperately struggling to re-create the clothes I saw in my Barbie Newsletter (yes, I was a hardcore fan at the time, even if I had a tendency to make my dolls practice extreme sports).

I feel better now knowing dozens of designers did the same as children. Anna Sui admitted she started with dressing Barbie before dressing people.

Over the years Barbie was dressed by over 70 designers, including Burberry, Christian Lacroix, Versace and Vera Wang. She has an entire little family, and she looks damn great for her age.

She is one lucky mini-lady to have a round-up of designers perspiring at this very second to create for her a full Autumn/Winter 2009 collection.

No comments: