Monday 19 January 2009

A risky move: jeans and the office

I had my first day as an intern on the Westminster city council communications team today, and I made my first mistake: I wore jeans.

Denim is a tricky one, because it can be dressed up: add a black cardigan and sober heels to a dark pair of skinny jeans and you're in business.

However, most offices have a no jeans policy, which is understandable if they have a suit and shirt or suit and tie requirement, but it's often not that simple.

A woman can get away with wearing a shift dress or a purple skirt with patent heels, so long that it does not cry out "weekend style".

It might be because of the history of jeans: they were worn by workers (with a zip on the side) - because the material is thick is resistant against tears - up until the popular wave for informal-wear in the US in the 1970s.

And it is true that allowing jeans into the office could leave the door open to baggy, laid-back styles. I wonder though, with the new shapes and colours of jeans available now, if denim will ever cross the barrier to the 'formal' side.

It has already made it to 'casual chic' and designers have made denim-suits for both men and women - think Jil Sander.

Not that I am trying to justify my mistake - I will be wearing a secretary-style skirt tomorrow. Lesson learnt.

Go and check out this blog if your a fan, it has got some amazing info on jeans.

No comments: