Thursday 22 January 2009

The calf dilemma

Today, after a stressful day at work I decided to treat myself to a Top Shop spree. (Working in Victoria street does indeed not help my wallet.)

I found a really nice skirt, very much in the sexy/smart tones of the season: black, under-the-knee, high-waisted, tight, with ruffles at the back. Oh and a sales price tag of £15.

All perfectly cut - Victoria Beckham style.

This is the definition of my dream skirt - or one of them at least: so what went through my erratic head to prevent me from running out of the changing rooms, buying it in all haste, smiling to an unimpressed and exasperated rush-hour crowd all the way home?

In a few words: I had a calf attack.

No nothing to do with my muscles melting following intense stiletto-wear. The dress made my calves look the size of my thighs.

I never really worried about my calves: they are toned, and usually barely noticeable. To be honest, I usually have a thunder-thigh panic instead of a thunder-calves panic. How ever even heard of that?

I am not the only one to worry about unusual parts of my body: there are more and more slim-lotions and creams to tone your arms, calves, back, neck and a myriad other places.

I am sure we are slowly sliding towards an LA beauty aesthetic: soon we are going to have to look like a movie star with bleached teeth, on a daily basis.

It is true, the Victoria Beckham cut - just below the knee - can be very unflattering if you have large-ish hips or short legs.

The waist looks fabulous (and so does the buttocks), but it is what I call a profile shape: it enhances you from a side point of view but often not from a front view.

It all depends on the shape you want to achieve.

1 comment:

Hip Hype Central said...

I want to exchange links... Please send me an email at hiphypecentral@gmail.com

jeans history