Thursday 9 October 2008

Is fashion body or clothes?

In LA, most of the girls on the streets are a size 0 (UK 4) to 4 (UK 8). Not quite what you see when you're walking down Oxford street!

In Britain, a UK 6 is pretty hard to spot. Girls prefer to show off their clothes than their bones. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

Indeed, London streets are full of fashion forward ideas and experimental trends. No one really seems to care whether she's too "fat" to wear pink tights, or if her cincher belt is more than 22 inches.

The result? In my opinion: crazy styles and happier faces. It's a fact that a girl gets cranky when she's hungry.

What is really puzzling me though is, why do LA girls hide their "media perfect" bodies under tracksuits? I would think that if you go to the gym three times every day you would want to show it off.

One of my friends says it's laziness. It is true that after two miles on the treadmill, a body combat class, a swimming session and half an apple in your stomach you just want to collapse on the spot and in comfy clothes.

The relationship with fashion and the body is still so different I cannot get my head around it. This is a matter that need further looking into...

No comments: