Sunday 5 October 2008

What size do you want to see?

I have been told I am a 'size-ist': that sounds awful doesn't it?

Well, apparently I am not the only one. Dare also told me I am one of the growing number of women in the UK with a distorted perception of body weight. (However the article also mentioned it isn't our fault, pfeww!)

How did the verdict come along? The magazine has a picture of a size 14 model (the size of an average British woman) with the caption: "Is she fab or fat?"

You guess the rest, I shamefully thought she could do with losing a few pounds...

That doesn't mean I believe it is a good thing that most of what we see in the media are emaciated celebrities, that look like 12 year old pre-pubescent boys with a pair of fake boobs.

However a very good point was raised in the article: a healthy-weight model looks too real. Looking at the half-naked size 14 model feel a bit like walking on someone naked in a changing room: it's intrusive.

Well, it's true that if all the models on advertising boards were a "normal" size, we would be living in a nudist city! But no one really gives a childlike model a second thought - because she isn't sexualized. That's probably why Lily Cole pausing nude caused uproar: it looks wrong.

I still don't believe models should be an "average" size. (Careful, you might not want to listen to me here, I might be brainwashed by my size-ist mind!) However for celebrities it's a different thing: actresses look more believable if they are a range of sizes we are used to. Maybe a tiny bit smaller and more toned for the glamour. But it's all about representing reality.

Or maybe it would help to see celebrities outside of the glossies - would we still think they look so fab without Photoshop?

No comments: