Monday 6 October 2008

Photoshop me please: I'm a model, I need to look like one!

If Photoshop was some drinkable potion I'm pretty sure most of us out there would give it a try at least once. I know I would. Looking good without any effort with just a click of the fingers? Hell yea!

So why is everyone against Liz Hurley shedding a few pounds post photo shoot, or Keira Knightley adding a little bit of volume to her cleavage? Because it's fake?

Well that isn't breaking news any more, is it? We all know that nobody looks like magazine models, not even the models!

So why the outrage?

It's true that even though we all know it's fake, it's hard to see it. When I look at a magazine cover I don't think: "pfff, she's plastic, no one looks like that". I think: "gosh, I wish I had toned arms like her!" All these flawless complexions and cellulite-less bodies have an impact on us, whether we want it or not.

Sometimes magazines do push it too far. Just think of the Kate Winslet debate with GQ five years ago. But the key thing with that story is that she hadn't agreed to electronically shed that many stones!

But let's turn the tables around for a minute: you have a very hot date, how long do you spend in the bathroom getting ready? There is the makeup, the hair, the clothes...

In my opinion you can only judge if someone really is beautiful the morning after. However it also means that a beautiful person can look EVEN MORE stunning with all the fuss.

Well, yes, it's not a feminist notion... But come on, even in fairy tales the princess is a stunner.

There is always going to be someone prettier than us (and someone less fortunate). Let's get over it!

Instead of being angry at those models for promoting a fake image why not feel for them? Imagine having to get ready, not for one hot date, but a billion people!

At the end of the day we all worry that our thighs are fat. Models probbaly more than us. Because their thighs are really going to be scrutined! And, let's be sincere we are harsh judges!

No comments: