Saturday 11 October 2008

Vogue's 1950 unpublished nude shot

It's crazy how many fashion shots get thrown aside. It's a bit like getting rid of your embarrassing holiday pictures.

Except that those unpublished photographs are incredible.

Today I discovered Norman Parkinson.

While skimming though my new Unseen Vogue book, I was blown away by one of his nudes: a model, lying nonchalantly on a sofa, surrounded by 1950's girdles, corselettes and suspender belts.

It's astoundingly glamorous and really doesn't look like it was taken in 1950. It might be the way the model looks at the camera. (Or the fact that it's hard to imagine this girl is now the same age as my Nan...)

I don't know why it was never published in Vogue. It might have been the frontal nudity. Even now, models don't often appear fully naked in magazines. Although Diva magazine did make an Anti-fashion - naked issue (October 2008).

It might be time to bring back the concept in fashion glossies.

No comments: