Thursday 2 October 2008

A place where fashion kills

There is a pair of Chanel wedges I would kill for. But I would not wear them at the risk of being killed.

In some countries of the Middle East women are killed for less than a fancy pair of heel shoes. Showing a bare ankle is sometimes enough.

I was shocked to read in a brilliant article by Rachel Cook that in Yemen women have to think twice before raising their veil to eat breakfast in a restaurant. Even though most restaurants have separate rooms for women diners.

The debate is a difficult one. A lot of Islamic women wear the veil out of choice. But it is difficult to choose when the weight of tradition is against you. Free will is a questionable concept: in Afghanistan, now the chadri is no longer required it is less frequently worn. When it is, it's often a matter of personal safety.

Is that free will?


The Qur'an stresses the importance of modesty. As far as I am aware, having a moral conscience isn't about a piece of cloth - however long or whatever the colour. It is about being comfortable and respecting yourself and others.

To me, fearing imprisonment because I have not lowered my head at the right moment; or worrying constantly whether my wrists are covered properly by fear of a beating is not respecting myself.

Fashion is not the most moral industry. But clothes have no conscience in themselves. They are a second skin and make us who we are.

Fashion should never kill.

No comments: