Wednesday 12 November 2008

Bring Thierry Mugler back

As a true child of the eighties, when I hit nine years old, my life ambition was to get enough money to buy a Thierry Mugler shiny, lilac, puffy jacket.

20 years later, the man behind top-heavy, extreme fantastical-fashion is nowhere to be seen. But his influence is certainly still structurally and adventurously felt: think vampires, aliens in PVC and angels squeezed into metal corsets.

I have to admit I am so thankful for the possibility of an 80s variety revival, I am only hoping that it will hit the high-street soon enough…

London is so dull this winter it is time to structure it up. I find it so depressing to come home when it's dark outside, the only outstanding outfit in the tube is an oversize woollen scarf, and the only colour to be seen is the odd citrus-green beret.

Giles makes dresses with satin-ribbon ruffles, Madeira has rigid snow-queen dresses, and why not invest in a winter-garden-style balloon dress (Celine) - they are hard to wear but they will liven up your day if chosen carefully.

As long as it's sparkling and makes a statement, it’s good to go.

I don’t know if it’s me being too sentimental over the Thierry Mugler pieces I never owned, but I always get nostalgic for an 80s eccentricity.

No comments: