Friday 14 November 2008

A twice-queenly statement: tartan and carrot-tops

Today at lunch, I had a model-scout-like revelation: my ravenous attention was distracted by a carrot-top.

No, nothing to do with vegetables, I found myself staring at a tall thin ginger girl: not particularly beautiful but striking.

And since everyone seems to be going to the hairdresser at the moment, why not try copper?

Red-heads being the ugly-ducklings is ancient history, not since Elisabeth I has translucide skin, invisible eyebrows and tangerine hair been celebrated.

Orange haired models and celebrities have been everywhere over the last years, from the breathtaking Tilda Swinton to Lily Cole who's trademark is her fiery-fall of hair.

British Vogue interviewed red queen, Karen Elson, in their Glorious September 2008 issue about the red phenomenon; and model agencies are reported to be encouraging carrot-tops to come forward.

The strangely pale creatures are up for fashion domination.

I cannot pinpoint it but there is something arresting about red-heads - something about their almost erased, complexions. Maybe it is the bone structure or the fact the definition of their features gets lost in a milky skin.

When I found myself staring, I realised I was so dumstrucked by this carrot-girl because she reminds me of Queen Elisabeth (or at least the stately idea I have forged of her, as I cannot claim to have met the woman).

So it all revolves around the queen as style icon after all: I might have to go out and buy a tartan suit to match the hair - and the royal airs of the season...

No comments: